Wednesday, April 3, 2013

In Pursuit of Happiness and Fulfillment -- Version 2.OH!


I will be turning thirty three years old this weekend.  

Photo by @ashleyisalive.  Taken from the Instagram account of @Over.


In spite of all the U-turns, wrong turns, traffic, mishaps, and delays that my life has encountered, I know that I have still lived a relatively full and happy life. 

And, at this ripe-old age, I've discovered that what makes a truly fulfilling and happy life are not the ones you can purchase off the shelves (or in the racks of H&M!) or eat in Michelin-starred restaurants, nor do they require a visa, and run along the line of 7-digit figures. 


Photo by @stefanbradow.  Taken from the Instagram account of @Over.

At this age of true maturity (I just need to stress that!), one comes to realize that there is truth in the so-called "life's simple pleasures".  That true pleasures don't necessarily come with a hefty price tag. At the same time, true fulfillment does not come in an over-stamped passport.  They come in sunny days, in kiddie pools, in the company of cats and dogs, even in a bottle of Coca-Cola on a hot humid day (open happiness, they say!).

Of course, there is nothing wrong with eating, shopping and traveling.  I  would be a hypocrite to deny that I don't aspire to eat in a Michelin restaurant, to jet off in some exotic locale, to lust after a designer handbag.  

But, they all come at a price. And, they certainly don't come in cheap.  And, with my Third-World salary, I can only afford so much. 

Happiness and fulfillment is not exclusive to the rich alone. Everyone is entitled to it.  Everyone can certainly achieve it.  Money certainly helps.  But its not the end all and be all.  It is more like a means to an end.  

And those who are cash-strapped? We get creative.  We become appreciative.

And, at the end of the day, I think we, regular Joes and Janes, end up as the real winners.  Because even without the bling and the benjamins, we can still find happiness.     

Photo by @ashleyisalive. Taken from the Instagram account of @Over.


This blog will be my diary of the lengths, shortcuts and roundabout ways I have done and will do in my pursuit of happiness and fulfillment.

This blog will be my journal of plans and projects, excerpts from books, feel-good songs, photos of my cats, and other random what-nots, which I feel give my everyday life purpose and pleasure.   To become a better version of myself.  To live my life with joie de vivre no matter what income bracket I am currently in.

This blog will be my record of all the good things in my life (and other good things that I've discovered that I hope I can bring into my life).  To remind me of the things I should be thankful for.  To inspire me to dream and do more.

And, may this blog also inspire you to seek out your own personal catnip, your own version of happiness and fulfillment. 


So, here's to us and our journey in pursuit of happiness and fulfillment!

Cheers!

Me, Version 2.OH!

-----

Photo by @jshthmpsn.  Taken from the Instagram account of @Over.





No comments:

Post a Comment